Doing Bioethics and Medical Ethics Research at USUHS
You may find books on your research topic using the LRC's catalog. To use the catalog, begin by conducting a subject search on your topic.
General subject headings in the LRC catalog include:
However, you might want to find materials that are more specific to your topic. Other, more specific, subject headings which might be helpful for your medical ethics research include:
The LRC subscribes to dozens of journals that focus on bioethics or medical ethics. Among them are:
- ER LoginER LoginER LoginER LoginER LoginER Login, Campus-only accessER LoginER LoginER Login
Using databases to search for journal articles:
The best place to start to find journal articles on bioethics or medical ethics is MEDLINE (PubMed). The LRC owns other sources that will also help you to access full-text journal articles.
ER Login A good starting point for searching for journal articles is the National Library of Medicine's Medline through PubMed:
- Using Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
- Many Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) have an "ethics" subheading. Go to the MeSH database from the PubMed homepage under "More Resources".
- Find your MeSH heading by typing your term into the MeSH database. Click Go.
- From the results list, Click on you term without checking the box.
- Then place a check in the ethics box, and send it to the search box (note: you may use "AND", "OR", or "NOT" the first time you send a term to the search box. It makes no difference).
- Click Search PubMed
- See results
To search for a more specific subset:
- Using the Bioethics Subset
The Bioethics Subset is an easy-to-use search limiter designed to help you focus your search results on bioethical issues. The Bioethics Subset is based on a pre-built strategy that looks for journals that commonly publish articles on bioethics, Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) terms used most often to index these articles (both as unique terms and in combination with other terms), and frequently used ethics-related text words.
In order to use this subset:
- Type your term into the search box at the top of the screen.
- Click on the Limits link above the search box.
- Choose Bioethics from the Subsets menu (left side of screen), and click Go.
- You can also use other limit boxes to restrict your search results to language, ages, publication types, gender, etc.
Helpful websites with links to bioethics resources:
For further information, contact the Reference Librarian. Last Updated:02/25/2011