Carol J. Johns, M.D., Professor, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, was a long-time enthusiastic and effective
supporter of the University. Dr. Johns worked for the health and survival of the University in numerous ways,
and served as a member of the USU Board of Regents from 1985 until her death in 2000. A warm and gifted woman
with remarkable personal humility and gentleness, Dr. Johns achieved the highest honors in academic medicine
as a nationally recognized clinician, academician, and teacher. The University established an annual award in
her name, the Carol J. Johns Medal. The Medal will honor the faculty member whose accomplishments emulate Dr.
Johns' spirit in: furthering the welfare and excellence of the USU faculty; promoting outstanding educational
programs for the students; and, advancing the reputation of the University locally, nationally, and internationally.
The Carol J. Johns Medal was presented for the first time during the 2001 USU Commencement Ceremonies.
Previous recipients of this award are:
- 2001 Louis Pangaro, M.D., Colonel, MC, USA (Retired), Professor, USU SOM Department of Medicine
- 2002 Rosemary C. Borke, Ph.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Anatomy, Physiology and Genetics
- 2002 Val G. Hemming, M.D., Colonel, USAF, MC (Retired), Professor and Dean Emeritus, USU SOM
- 2003 Norman M. Rich, M.D., F.A.C.S., Professor and Chair, USU SOM Department of Surgery
- 2004 Cinda Helke, Ph.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Pharmacology, Associate Dean, Graduate Education
- 2005 Eric S. Marks, M.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Medicine, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs
- 2006 Alison D. O'Brien, Ph.D., Professor & Chair, USU SOM Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- 2007 Neil E. Grunberg, Ph.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Medical & Clinical Psychology
- 2008 Merrily Poth, M.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Pediatrics
- 2009 Brian M. Cox, Ph.D., Professor, USU SOM Department of Pharmacology
- 2010 Paul A. Hemmer, M.D., MPH Colonel, USAF, MC, Professor, USU SOM Department of Medicine
- 2011 Sheila M. Muldoon, M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., Professor, USU SOM Department of Anesthesiology
- 2012 Eleanor S. Metcalf, Ph.D., Associate Dean, USU SOM Graduate Education